COTTONERA SPORTS COMPLEX
• Built as part of infrastructural works hosting the 2003 European
Nations Games. The main focus of the complex is the
multipurpose sports hall, seating
• Primarily designed for Volleyball tournaments with a playing area of
46m by 28m width and 14m high.
DOME STRUCTURAL CONCEPT
• Use of a single layer framework not ideal due to shallow height to
• Shallow double-layered steel geodesic dome covering a square plan
• Lower layer inscribes a square with sides measuring 46.55m and has
rise of 4m at the apex.
• Dome upper layer is concentric with the lower layer and is 1.5m
• The two layers consist of triangulated grids and are connected
by bracing members.
• Each layer is produced by the subdivision of a spherical
by a frequency of 11 divisions and for each layer there
are 22 member lengths
as there are for the diagonal elements in
between the upper and lower layers.
• Supported along its perimeter on 44 vertical and 48 inclined
columns, which are anchored to a three-dimensional braced